SNODLAND: Holborough Hill (a.k.a. the nob)
Artists impression (not to scale) of hill
viewed from the south-east.
The links to the right will take you to the website of the Kent Archaeological Society and to the report published in Archaeologia Cantiana
1 Old chalk pit (date unknown)
later used as a dump from which a large number of old bottles
were recovered. Now ploughed out.
2 Five Wents - the meeting of 5
ways or paths. Paths were usually direct and favoured over
roads. Although a significant destination is given the
ways would have extended far beyond. Destinations were
Paddlesworth, Meopham, West Malling, Holborough/Halling and
3 Cobblers Hole. Probably a
pit dug by Chalk Cobblers. Many of the paths in the area
4 Ladykey - one of a number of
dialect names for a Cowslip.
Eye witnesses tell of a profusion of cowslips growing on this
part of the hill which offered a well-drained habitat with a
south west aspect.
5 Bronze age ring ditch. The mound
was absent due to erosion. This is the highest part of the
hill at 210 feet (64 m).
6 Site of windmill. First mentioned
in the Wotton Survey 1557-60 as 'Monks' Tippit', and later in an
estate map of 1740 as a 'smock hole'. The two are very
similar garments and typical of the naming of landscape
7 Anglo Saxon Cemetery. We do not
know the size or extent of the cemetery. Archaeology and
preservation were not high on our list of priorities during war
8 Roman Tumulus with insertion
9 White Dyke Road/Way.
10 Coney Hall Farm. A coney is a
11 White Dyke way diverted to a lower road.
12 Anglo saxon hut group with sword
13 Windmill near clock tower (1824
Malling to Strood Toll Road map) Owner Mr. Stone Occupier Mr.
Boorman. William Coles Finch records that the windmill was
purchased about 1839 by one of the Stedman family, transferred
to Gillingham and re-erected there. It was struck by
lightning and burnt down in a violent storm which raged on the
night of June 28th, 1892.
14 Collectanea Cantiana (1893) George